The National Historical Museum of the Republic of Belarus is one of the country’s most popular museums. Its holdings house the biggest museum collection in Belarus numbering about 400,000 items. Also, the National Historical Museum structure includes 5 branches: the Museum of Belarusian Cinema History, the Museum of Contemporary Belarusian Statehood, the House Museum of First Congress of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party, the Museum of Theatre and Musical Culture History of the Republic of Belarus, and the Museum of Nature and Environment of the Republic of Belarus.
Throughout its history, the National Historical Museum has changed its name repeatedly. It opened in 1919 as the Minsk Regional Museum. From 1923 till 1930 the Museum was called the Belarusian State Museum and was the central museum institution of the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. In 1930, it was renamed as the Minsk Social and Historical Museum. From 1941 till 1944, it was called the Minsk Historical Museum. In 1957, the institution was restored under the name of the Byelorussian State Museum of History and Regional Studies and, in 1964, it was named the State Museum of the BSSR. In 1992, after Belarus declared independence, the Museum was renamed once again into the National Museum of History and Culture of Belarus. In 2009, the institution received its actual name.